[Aptitude-devel] About the status and plans for aptitude

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Sat Dec 31 09:45:20 UTC 2011

Quoting Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo (manuel.montezelo at gmail.com):

> > *I* certainly can't help in coding and sorting things out, etc.....but
> > I can help reviving the project, development, etc, including by
> > cleaning out the committers list and granting access to whoever might
> > need it.
> >
> > Daniel, I know you've always been opened to collaboration and
> > help. Could you give us your stance about the current discussion?
>
> So, another month has gone by (and I wrote to him the first time on the 3rd
> of November).  The repository [1] is untouched since 5 months ago, and prior
> to that for the whole 2011 it consisted only in about 30 commits, the bulk
> of them just removing cruft (as far as one can tell from the commit
> messages), and the occasional bugfix.  Between July 2010 and March 2011
> there was another period of complete vacuum in the development.  Before July
> 2010 there was a period of great activity dating back to 2008 (and I didn't
> bother to look beyond that).
>
> [1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=aptitude/aptitude.git;a=summary
>
> So other than the obvious lack of time/interest, maybe the current period
> it's because Daniel Burrows is restricting development only to the period
> before freezes for adding new features and quick stabilisation?

I don't think so. At least this is not how I witnessed aptitude
development when Daniel was more active. It's clearly obvious now that
Daniel  can't make aptitude one of his priorities, probably because of
other, real-lilfe related, priorities.

I think it would be nice to have you guys able to commit in the
repository but I can't do this now as I'm not admin for the project.

> Anyway, Daniel Hartwig and me have been triaging bugs (much more him than
> me), and we actually caused a noticeable dent in the graph of open bugs [2]
> (and many of them are now properly classified, thanks to D. Hartwig).  We
> will continue working on that, but some of the stuff like translations and
> minor fixes [3][4] is much quicker to just go and fix them and close bug,
> than to tag and bug-triage them, check if they are valid, tag them, revisit
> at some point in the future and fix them, and then close bugs.

I have witnessed your great work and I think you've proven now that
you really care about aptitude. So, the best progress would be being
able to include changes in the repository.

Indeed, either Daniel can give you commit rights....or I can do it,
assuming that I have admin rights on the project. Daniel would that be
OK for you? If I get no answer, I can try asking the Alioth admins to
give me such rights as we can't leave a project entirely blocked.

> (By the way, Christian, if you feel like it and since you have permissions,
> maybe you could incorporate the translations and close the bugs, it would be
> really useful.)

I'll focus on the l10n stuff in the upcoming days. I was indeed
wondering whether I should do it..:-)