[Aptitude-devel] aptitude visual vs. --schedule-only

Daniel Burrows dburrows at google.com
Mon Mar 7 22:42:58 UTC 2011

(sorry about the delay, hopefully this information is still relevant to someone)

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 2:59 AM, Stefan Söffing
<soeffing at physik.uni-kl.de> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> what is the difference between
>
> a) in visual mode selecting a package and pressing '-' (mark for removal)
> b) aptitude --schedule-only remove package
> ?

  In theory, none, but --schedule-only is a little bit of a hack and I
don't personally use it, so I can't tell you whether it'll work in all
circumstances.  For instance,

> I have the following problem: I want to full-upgrade to squeeze, however this results in some conflicts (to be precise, 33 broken packages)
> In visual mode I can select some packages by hand for removal which solves the conflicts. However I'd like to do this on 10 computers as batch job an tried
> aptitude --schedule-only packages
> to remove the offending packages. But when I do this, I get over 600 broken packages!

  aptitude in command-line mode doesn't like continuing with broken
dependencies, even where the interactive UI would let you save your
state for later.  You should be able to get it to continue by passing
the "-y" flag to accept the first solution (but that obviously doesn't
work if you don't want the first solution).  You could also pass a
full solution on the command-line, although there might be issues if
you have different conflicts on the different computers.