[Aptitude-devel] Closing some bugs based on information from VCS

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:34:45 UTC 2011

Hello,

(Does this email belong in deity@ too?  CC to Daniel Hartwig, not sure
if he's subscribed to this list or not).

So, in an exercise of software archaeology, I am searching through
commits to VCSs to hunt for patches supposedly fixing bugs and binding
pieces together.

I already found a few cases where Daniel Burrows fixed a bug report
promptly (sometimes within the same day that it was reported),
sometimes he even uploaded a version to experimental with related
fixes, and tagged the bug with fixed-in-experimental, but then there
are some bugs which were not closed, and in these cases typicall two
things happened:

- Sometimes he forgot to include the bug number in the list of
"Closes: x", in revisions fixing 10 to 20 bugs.

- Other times he included this "Closes: x", but for some reason the
bug was not closed.  Does anybody know of some bug in the BTS software
which might be causing this?

So I went ahead and closed a bunch of bugs, and I plan to continue
closing bugs by this method.  I think that I'm doing it when it's
safe, taking care that the bug doesn't contain further comments after
it's supposed to be fixed, etc.

This is the list of bugs that I closed so far:

Confirmed/adding info:

I don't have that much experience with the BTS, so if I am doing
something wrong, please correct me.

Regards.