[Aptitude-devel] About the status and plans for aptitude

Michael Vogt mvo at debian.org
Wed Nov 30 13:21:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 01:45:18AM +0100, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 05:44, Daniel Hartwig <mandyke at gmail.com> wrote:
> > An issue in dealing with some of these is that aptitude is dependent
> > on libapt-pkg for much of it's functionality.
>
> That's not an issue, that is a feature. ;)
> Really, as much as reimplementing the wheel might sound
> like a lot of fun: it isn't in the long run.
[..]

I can not agree more with this statement. The more of the "core" code
is in libapt, the easier it is to maintain aptitude (and all other
frontends for libapt) because all changes in apt/libapt will
immediately be beneficial for them. So if someone starts working on
aptitude I would love to see changes that could be done in apt itself
to be merged back there.

Cheers,
 Michael