[Aptitude-devel] request developer to assist with aptitude; Ubuntu packaging and support tasks
mandyke at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 08:52:12 UTC 2012
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com>
XSBC-Original-Maintainer: Aptitude Development Team <aptitude-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>
The upstream development team does not particularly have the resources
to adequately support this package in Ubuntu. We are seeking at least
one developer to assist directly with the packaging and support tasks.
The current status:
- aptitude is a package manager;
- moderately sized program with a number of outstanding issues;
- major issue (i.e. broken) on multi-arch Precise systems;
- minor issues with multi-arch support in the latest version;
- minor issues in the Ubuntu packaging.
There will be major changes in the near future, particularly pertaining
to apt and dpkg integration, but also improving support for multi-arch.
These are areas where subtle differences between Ubuntu and Debian can
be critical (e.g. the style of earlier vs. later m-a support in dpkg).
We would like to work closely with an Ubuntu developer during this
period rather than rely on the ad hoc support of ubuntu-devel's team
maintenance approach and sponsored uploads. Although these have served
us ok in the past, moving forward will happen best if there is someone
paying close attention to the incoming changes as they happen.
Specifically, who seek someone who is (or becomes) familiar with the
program and its issues, and will:
- follow upstream development by subscribing to aptitude-devel mailing
- prepare and upload Ubuntu packaging for new releases;
- provide support for and backport fixes to Ubuntu stable; and
- regularly use and test aptitude on Ubuntu systems, providing feedback
upstream and diagnosing problems that may arise.
Some bug triage on launchpad and maintanence of the current Ubuntu
patches is also nice.
If this sounds like you, please get in touch:
<mailto:aptitude-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>
More information about the Aptitude-devel