[Aptitude-devel] news about aptitude for the masses.

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 03:12:53 UTC 2012

in-line :-

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 19:07, David Kalnischkies
<kalnischkies+debian at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/2/2 shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 at gmail.com>:
<snipped>

> But lets start at the top:
> First, as it get pretty quick pretty confusing: APT isn't aptitude.
> Usually, then we say APT we mean tools using the libapt-libraries
> to a certain extent. The primary programs show casting this library
> are apt-get, apt-cache and co. But aptitude uses this library to a
> certain extend - and a lot of other package managers -, too.

cool.

> The code for downloading is e.g. included in this library and therefore
> used by all of them equally, therefore projects like this debdelta thing
> are worked on under the umbrella of the APT development team
> reachable at deity at lists.debian.org for the benefit of everyone.

so if I am reading it right, it would be better if any improvements
about debdelta  be on the libapt* libraries so that all the package
managers (apt-get,aptitude,synaptic) can benefit from it.

> As we share so much you will find quiet a few people here as well
> as there - i am for example mostly ear-dropping here to be informed
> what "our" brother-in-law aptitude does, my real "home" is there. ;)

right.

> Various parts of the code for debdelta integration can be e.g. found here:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~udeshike/apt/apt-ishan
> https://code.launchpad.net/~udeshike/debdelta/debdelta-ishan

at least now I know where to point/prod people if they want to do something.

> It's not finished and it seems like the original author (= our mentee)
> left us with these pieces behind after GSoC. That's misfortune but
> unfortunately not unusual in GSoC[0]. It therefore is now in need of
> someone picking it up to proceed working on it, it just nobody did so far.
>

>> Good luck commiters having access to aptitude's git repository :P
>
> Everyone who can 'git clone' has commit access to his aptitude repo.
> You just need to make your code rock and allow the gatekeepers of
> the official aptitude repository to merge your awesomeness. ;)

true.

> I would tell you now what could be done without ever writing a single
> line of code to improve aptitude or whatever else you like, but i am
> reasonably sure Christian already told you this, so i am just saying:
> Just do it (and be happy). :)

actually all of us were busy using the minidebconf [0] so we could not
talk/share anything about aptitude.  I did however come to know of his
patience and his il8n guruness :)

I am however curious to know what you meant by ' I would tell you now
what could be done without ever writing a single  line of code to
improve aptitude or whatever else you like ' , please elaborate.

Looking forward to know more.

[0] https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/tag/mangalore/

--
          Regards,