[Aptitude-devel] Simple and direct question: Should we go ahead with a new release?

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 17:36:54 UTC 2012

On 6 February 2012 00:02, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo
<manuel.montezelo at gmail.com> wrote:

>> A couple of issues to resolve before releasing:
>> [...]
>> I will look at both of these in the next 24 h and we should have
>> aptitude suitable for release after that.
>
> Have you worked on this?  Can we release now?

Apologies, but I was unexpectedly taken ill before being able to look
at that.  The required changes are now committed, along with a version
bump and updates to the NEWS and pofiles.

The NEWS could use a tidy, but I think given the simplicity of many
bug changes it's hardly worth it.

It's late here and I leave a "make distcheck" to run overnight to
confirm everything.

> The freeze for the upcoming release is coming (June is the initial
> date proposed).  Also, and apart that I was busy with SDL and other
> packages, I am hesitant to continue looking at bugs in aptitude
> because I think than closing ~50 bugs at once and the size of the
> changelog somehow tell me that this already too much for a release.
>
> IMO, if we continue incorporating small fixes, we should release once
> every 15 to 30 days or so, until we start to hit bugs or development
> requirements needing bigger changes and more thought.

Indeed.

Anyway, update tomorrow :-)