[Aptitude-devel] Modifications to src/ in "debian" branch?

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 07:16:04 UTC 2012

Hello

On 22 February 2012 00:25, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo
<manuel.montezelo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe you already noticed this before, but there are modifications
> from the "debian" branch other than Makefile.in, changes to the source
> code itself, e.g.:
> $ PAGER="" git diff master..debian src/cmdline/text_progress.cc

What you are seeing is the *difference* between the versions in master
and debian.  The changes have actually been made on the master branch,
not the debian branch.

$ git log -n1 debian -- src/cmdline/text_progress.cc
commit b9a2880ae07bccd9a81d82e706bded8b86fbabc2
Author: Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org>
Date:   Sun May 15 20:13:40 2011 -0700

    Imported Upstream version 0.6.4
$ git log -n1 master -- src/cmdline/text_progress.cc
commit 81c836c859fc4e5dfece7f2015cc5bb94fcfd128
Author: Daniel Hartwig <mandyke at gmail.com>
Date:   Sun Feb 12 00:36:37 2012 +0800

    Silence text progress when -q2

So this is the work flow we are after.

> Probably this is due to some oversight, but I guess that it should be
> corrected and that "debian" should only contain the added "debian/"
> dir, or at most some building-system related stuff.

You are correct about what changes should be made to the debian branch
between release.  This did not happen very smoothly during the last
release, but since then everything is ok:

$ git log debian/0.6.5-1..debian
commit 6052dad10c39848268404074f34a8417c1e2fe67