[Aptitude-devel] Improving error messages given to users when parsing grouping policies

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 09:59:50 UTC 2012

2012/2/27 Daniel Hartwig <mandyke at gmail.com>:
> Hello again,
>
> Much quicker comment this time ;-)
>

> -- src/load_grouppolicy.cc
> -      throw GroupParseException(_("By-mode grouping policies take no
> arguments"));
> +      throw GroupParseException(_("'action' grouping policy takes no
> arguments"));
>                                    ^^
> --
>
> Not using a capital for the first letter on these messages?
>
> Also, are the single-quotes needed?

Single quotes to remark that "action" is a keyword, the same reason
why I quoted it again now, people usually do that when using a
"meta-language".  I've used it consistently in all of the messages.
And since the leading word is a keyword, I don't think that it's
appropriate to use capital letters.

Additionally, I think that the bug report made complete sense and that
using strange wording and internal name that aptitude has been using
for years for these error messages is fundamentally wrong.  So IMO
overall the changed text is actually much more informative and an
improvement.

Cheers.