[Aptitude-devel] hacking aptitude/release process

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 15:04:18 UTC 2012

On 22 January 2012 21:57, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo
<manuel.montezelo at gmail.com> wrote:

>>  $ git tag NNN
>>  [produce ../aptitude_NNN.orig.tar.gz]
>>  $ git checkout debian
>>  $ git-import-orig ../aptitude_NNN.orig.tar.gz
>
> Isn't this possible with a regular merge from master into debian branch?
>
> (Not that I have anything against that, due to my limited
> understanding I am just wondering why is it a better solution).

A regular merge is possible, though git-import-orig is a short hand
for several actions in addition to that and it keeps the upstream
branch in sync with .orig.tar.gz at all times (very useful for
packaging).  Roughly, those actions are:

- import the changes from .orig.tar.gz to upstream branch
- tag the upstream branch with release number
- generate pristine-tar info
- merge the changes to the debian branch