David Kalnischkies kalnischkies+debian at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 13:45:42 UTC 2012

Hi!

2012/1/25 shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 at gmail.com>:
> but for some reason the changelog at
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/a/apt/current/changelog
> shows the updates till end of 2011 only.

I think most services center around the version in unstable as
experimental is just to flaky in general. Lintian errors for example or
changelogs as you experience here.

Currently, we (as in APT) are working mostly in experimental2 branch, so
you can find the changelog here [0] but this might be subject to change.

[0] http://anonscm.debian.org/loggerhead/apt/apt/debian-experimental2/annotate/head:/debian/changelog

> Also was wondering is there a way to subscribe the emails at
> aptitude at packages.debian.org

It depends which emails you want:
If you really mean @packages.debian.org mails you can subscribed to every
package you like at the bottom of their PTS site, for apt this would be [1],
aptitude is [2], all others can be easily found by jumping to them
(field top-right). More on the PTS and the work with it can be found
in thelink Daniel gave you).

If you are further interested you can subscribe to the mailinglist of the
"deity team", which is responsible for APT tools like apt-get and friends and
the libapt libaries [3], depending on your choices for your PTS subscription,
most mails from there will also on this mailinglist (like new uploads,
bugreports, …) and from time to time you will find human beings there
discussing (big[ger]) changes.
A similar mailinglist for aptitude can be found at [4].

Both suites are strongly related as they share quiet a bit of code so if you
want to stay on top of all changes you are better of subscribing to both,
but this also means that you will be informed about changes which only effect
one of the two (like changes to the dependency resolver or the user interface).

Hope this helps to understand "this mess" ;)

Best regards

David Kalnischkies

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/apt.html
[2] http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/aptitude.html