[Aptitude-devel] aptitude 0.6.9

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 10:05:58 UTC 2012

On 1 July 2012 17:19, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo
<manuel.montezelo at gmail.com> wrote:
> but since aptitude is a
> standalone and relatively straightforward package, accepting a new
> minor version early in the freeze doesn't tend to cause big problems.

The only problems I foresee are with the new command-line handling,
which is much stricter about what is acceptable.  As mentioned, I have
performed some testing with other programs (tasksel, cronapt) but do
not usually use them myself.  The more likely disruption is to a
persons personal scripts and/or usage patterns, which will have to be
adjusted.  IMO the changes make the program more correct and I am
willing to work to fix any potential breakage introduced.

So Axel, Christian, please make a judgement call on this before
deciding to upload, for the reasons Manual mentions below.  If these
command-line changes aren't really appropriate at this stage of
releasing (I don't really have experience to judge that properly) then
we'll just leave this version until after Wheezy.

> OTOH, and this is quite important, introducing new versions in
> unstable while in freeze, is not recommended.  If somebody sponsors
> 0.6.9 (and possibly .10, etc in the next few weeks/months) for
> unstable but you don't ask it to be accepted in testing; and then
> there's a RC bug affecting testing (and with changes in multiarch and
> so on, they can be hairy); release managers won't easily accept 0.6.9+
> versions (unless, again, is very early in the process) and fixing
> problems will generally be more problematic.
>
> So I'd say that the better solution is to either:
>
> a) upload soon and ask for freeze exception also
> ASAP-with-some-days-of-margin (if RC bugs start to be reported against
> that version, it will be difficult to convince release managers)

To avoid entangling issues if the exception is not granted, should we
get the exception (i.e. go-ahead from the release team) before
uploading?

Thanks