[Aptitude-devel] aptitude 0.6.8-1

Sven Joachim svenjoac at gmx.de
Wed Jun 6 09:47:39 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-06 06:06 +0200, Daniel Hartwig wrote:

> Version 0.6.8-1 of aptitude is available on mentors.d.n.
>
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/aptitude
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/aptitude_0.6.8-1.dsc
>
> In addition to some minor bug fixes, we have these major changes:
> - debian/rules switched to use the dh command wrapper
> - doc build system extensively reworked; removed lots of duplication
> - aptitude-doc-it: Italian translation of the user's manual
> - aptitude-common: architecture independent data files, translations, etc.

There is a problem with aptitude-common, it has an apparently unintended
circular dependency on aptitude.  This happens because
/usr/share/doc/aptitude-common is a symlink to aptitude, and debhelper
helpfully creates the dependency to respect Policy § 12.3.

Maybe the conffiles, the /var/lib/aptitude directory and the postrm
script would also better be located in aptitude (downgrading to 0.6.7-1
and then purging aptitude-common will lead to a nasty surprise, for
instance).

In unrelated news, the aptitude preinst can probably be safely removed
since it's only useful for upgrades from versions which are more than
ten years old. :-)

Cheers,
       Sven