[Aptitude-devel] Stepping down as maintainer/developer

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Fri Mar 2 13:29:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 08:31:55PM +0800, Daniel Hartwig wrote:
> Are you considering to stay on?  If so, I will gladly take the time to
> address the rest of your comments.

Hi folks,
  I happen to be on the aptitude-devel list and also being an aptitude
user. I've been lurking activity here in the past months, the amazing
evolution of the code base and of package bug count, and this discussion
in the past few days.

I'm sad to see you two seem not to get along. I'm even more sad that, as
a result, the state of aptitude code base is not progressing as swiftly
and as quickly as it could.

None of us has magic wands that can make people who don't get along
suddenly get along. But let me state the obvious here: moving away from
contributing code is a net loss for everybody. If you two --- and
everybody else who is willing to contribute code --- do not manage to
get along and step back from contributing, you'll make aptitude suffer.
And that is bad for Debian users, no matter who is right or who is
wrong. Please think about what is at stake.

People might have technical or procedural divergences that block
contributions, but we need to find ways to fix them. If you've already
tried discussing and that didn't work, we have other ways. For instance
we can have someone mediating among the existing positions. I'll be
happy to mediate on this, if you want me to.

Hoping to see aptitude flourish (again),
Cheers.