[Aptitude-devel] Trying to install apt version 0.8.16~exp13 as it solved one of my issues .

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 14:21:18 UTC 2012

in-line :-

2012/3/9 Daniel Hartwig <mandyke at gmail.com>:
> 2012/3/9 shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> By looking at #639290 (which you mentioned last time as motivation for
>>> this) I can see some users have hinted at a work around:
>>>
>>> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=639290#224
>>> [3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=639290#229
>>>
>>> I suggest to try that if you have not already.
>>
>> Thank you, have done but also good to have it in record.
>>

> Did that fix work for you?

Actually I didn't get a chance to find that out. I was doing the
stable to testing/unstable migration for a test machine for an event
and was stuck there.

As luck would have it, another friend had an unstable (sid) machine
which could be used to showcase it for the event (with all the bells
and whistles in it.) and hence did not get an opportunity again to see
why it was the way it was.

The events [1] [2] were/are aimed at prospective students for
developers and hence used sid. Maybe I'll try that the next time we do
it. [3]

>> Actually the motivation now has changed for apt has changed ;-)
>>
>> Please see # bug 657902 which has been closed by the new apt version.
>>
>> The only thing I could not understand from Joerg's Jasper's statement
>> [1] was this :-
>>
>> alternatively this will just break our archive, lets see in next  'dinstall...'
>>
>> the quotes around dinstall are for emphasis, what does dinstall mean, anyone ?
>>

> Dinstall is a pet name for the process that updates the debian archive
> throughout the day.[1]
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/resources.html#incoming-system

Ah ok, so that means it works. Just have to be patient (for self)

Thank you again :)

1. https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/debian-utsav-coep-04-02-2012/

2. https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2012/03/05/debian-utsav-sicsr-26-02-2012/

3. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/DebianUtsav2012