[Aptitude-devel] why does not aptitude purge rather than just remove packages.

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 11:02:47 UTC 2012

2012/3/13 shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 at gmail.com>:

> If I'm understanding the last statement you made, you mean I should
> not delete the files manually but use aptitude purge $packagename to
> do the thing for me.

Yes.  You should generally always use 'purge' to remove the remains of
a package.  Even though you can find out what files are left behind
(using previously mentioned methods) you should only use that to
inspect their contents.

It is best to leave management of those files to the package system.

Regards