[Aptitude-devel] aptitude 0.6.6-1 available on mentors.d.n

David Kalnischkies kalnischkies+debian at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 20:14:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 17:47, Daniel Hartwig <mandyke at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have taken care that the multi-arch code is compatible but not yet
> thoroughly checked all the API changes which may impact aptitude.

We usually do not change the functional part of the API in a backward-
incompatible way as it just means too much work for everyone.
So if you find differences to unstable, it's more likely to be a bug in
libapt you should report rather than adept to in aptitude.

(your abi/api breaks are usually of the "we added a new member to an
 internal struct/new parameter breaking function pointers/added new
 method making yours with the same name ambitious" type and not of
 "we agreed 3 years ago to a spec, but we don't give a damn now" …)

That said, reading the changelog doesn't hurt of course. :)

Oh btw: I would upload to unstable now. I guess you have enough non-
multi-arch changes in it anyway and if we are uploading apt to unstable
aptitude uploads would be disallowed to get the transition done.
So an upload now to unstable and a rebuild of aptitude would be enough
for multi-arch - in contrast to at least 7 days more waiting.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies