[Aptitude-devel] FTBFS with pbuilder + export

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 20:08:10 UTC 2012

Hello,

2012/3/28 Daniel Hartwig <mandyke at gmail.com>:
> I note that on the sparc buildd "stadler" the compiler segfaulted
> while building the test suite.

It's not only with the aptitude package that that this is happening,
so I wouldn't worry too much -- it's probably an arch-especific bug.

> Also with exported hardening=+all I am seeing ~10% slow down on a
> straight "aptitude search ~i > /dev/null".  I suspect this is related
> to PIE rather than bindnow, as "aptitude nop-noselections" is not
> showing appreciable slow down.
>
> So between diagnosing further what appears to be "random" compiler
> issues, and going back to the default hardening flags without the
> performance loss (i.e. the effect of 0.6.6-1) I am leaning towards
> letting this slide--for now.

It's OK.  IMO what is important to make clear that the package is not
built with "harderning+=all", because there're people working actively
towards the harderning-goal which will spend time looking at the issue
and submit a bug report otherwise.  I don't know if a new revision -2
just for this is "overkill", though, maybe submitting a bug to keep
track of this, or a similar alternative, is enough.

Also, on the performance topic, maybe it's worth looking also at the
default hardening options, maybe some of them (or its combination) has
some significant impact as well, so it'll might be something to
consider.

Regards.