[Aptitude-devel] Rebasing published software and avoid git revert/merge

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 08:14:23 BST 2012

On 5 September 2012 14:55, Florian Schlichting
<fschlich at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Have you considered keeping branch names as they are, and setting
> git-debian-branch (and git-upstream-branch) in debian/gbp.conf /
> .gbp.conf?

Yes, but master will never be used again so I'd rather not leave it
around.  Also then the alternate branch becomes the main master, so is
a  bit confusing.

> Alternatively, you could revert the entirety of A..master and then
> cherry-pick (or rebase, or merge) A..stable-0.6 onto that and call it
> master. That way, you preserve linear history and still have a master
> branch identical to stable-0.6.

The revert would be huge, which is why I wanted to avoid it.  You are
right that this is less disruptive to others who pull from the repo.

Any thoughts about release .10 with most of .9 changes reverted, and
missing the NEWS entry for .9?