[Aptitude-devel] Uptodate aptitude documentation online (now without question mark :-)

Axel Beckert abe at debian.org
Tue Feb 26 21:43:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

Axel Beckert wrote:
> the only (more or less) official online documentation for aptitude is
> at http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/projects/aptitude/doc/ and a
> very outdated (for version 0.4.11.2). A more recent version (for
> 0.6.7) can be found online at
> http://media.fossclub.de/aptitude/html/en/. (Thanks to Frank Hofmann
> (Cc'ed) for that link.)
>
> Nevertheless I think it would be helpful if we have an always uptodate
> copy of the docs available somewhere under
> http://aptitude.alioth.debian.org/. That would make it easy to refer
> to in mails, blog postings, etc.

For now I've put up the current docs in all available languages at
http://people.debian.org/~abe/aptitude/ using "rsync -av
/usr/share/doc/aptitude/html/
people.debian.org:public_html/aptitude/", so we can refer to that for
now where necessary.

> For example I imagine a (maybe weekly) cron job which checks for the
> latest aptitude version in Sid, and if that one is newer than the
> previous one, it fetches the aptitude-doc-* packages and extracts the
> relevant parts to the http://aptitude.alioth.debian.org/ web.

No cron-job yet.

> Unfortunately I still lack official aptitude project membership, so I
> have no write access to /home/groups/aptitude/htdocs/ on Alioth. Is
> there anything we can do about adding more people the Aptitude Alioth
> Project in general?

As soon as that's fixed and we've got the docs under
http://aptitude.alioth.debian.org/, I'll let
http://people.debian.org/~abe/aptitude/ redirect there.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe at debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin