[Aptitude-devel] Removing mafm commit access

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 00:22:41 UTC 2014

On 7 March 2014 00:58, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo
<manuel.montezelo at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 5 March 2014 07:08, Axel Beckert <abe at debian.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Daniel,

>>> Hey, nobody's perfect!
>>>
>>> Did we remove your commit access just because we were not satisfied
>>> with you being MIA for about 1.5 years? No, we didn't.
>>>

>> At what point did you determine I was MIA?  Did anyone follow the
>> usual procedure and e.g. attempt to contact me directly without
>> response?
>>
>> Even though there was no published activity, it is clear from my
>> subsequent reports that indeed I have been active, and preparing the
>> way to address some of the deep-rooted issues in time for Jessie.
>

> It is clear that there's no Debian activity from you since mid 2013,
> independently of what you might have done in private branches.  Which
> BTW, either you even didn't fully publish yet, or if you did, it's a
> bit less than impressive (most of it was already done in 2012 and was
> released as "experimental").

You have no understanding of such things.  Most of the work done in
the mean time is further research and prototyping for how to
effectively resolve some of the deep rooted issues in aptitude.  None
of those prototypes are suitable for inclusion, but they are useful to
determine how to proceed.

> And not integrated yet, after the couple
> of weeks that you said that it would take (more than a month ago), so
> it would be useful if you focused on working on this rather than
> pissing off other people.
>
> And not integrated yet, after the couple
> of weeks that you said that it would take (more than a month ago), so
> it would be useful if you focused on working on this rather than
> pissing off other people.
>
> You had RC bugs for up to 6 months (#701243, #708812 and #710208) in
> your package until other members of Debian were forced to spend time
> to fix the only package that you maintan

Those three are all related, and the package FTBFS unless all of them
are resolved.  Did I not investigate the issues, identify problems
with the build-deps, research solutions and submit patches to all
involved packages as appropriate?

The last blocking issue was closed 30/6/2013.  Aptitude was uploaded
with the patches I had prepared one month later.

I have tended the package, perhaps not perfectly.  That is a fault,
but does not dismiss ones status as the maintainer.  You did renounce
such status yourself, you are not in a position to reappoint yourself
while there is someone already here.

I have attempted to constructively share access to the repository with
you, as suggested by Axel.  That is not working, and I, as the
maintainer, have now made the decision to revoke your access there in
a best-effort attempt to keep everyones work moving.  This is not a
collab-maint project.

Axel, you are not directly involved with the development side of
things.  You are not the one who is trying to work in between the
changes Manuel is making.

> [rest of your mail]

Manuel, you are not welcome if this is your continued attitude.