[Aptitude-devel] how to find orphan/obsolete packages if there are any in my Debian installation ?

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 12:30:08 GMT 2015

Hi all,
Before I begin, please CC me if possible as I'm not subscribed to the
list (due to general IT information overload).

For a long time I was using the following :-

[$] alias apto
apto='aptitude search ~o'

I used to run apto and it would tell me if there are any obsolete or
orphan packages left in my Debian installation/apt archive.

Recently, however from sometime back I have been running into the following :-

[$] 'aptitude search ~o'
zsh: command not found: aptitude search ~o

So, it either seems that the command no longer works or zsh has some
trouble processing the command. If it's the latter then will look/talk
to zsh developers to have more, if it's the former however, please
tell/share how can I look for a listing of obsolete/orphan packages.

I did look at the manual and also at
https://aptitude.alioth.debian.org/doc/en/ch02s04s05.html#searchObsolete
and both places it seems that my wording is correct.

My aptitude version :-

[$] aptitude --version
                                                            [17:54:00]
aptitude 0.6.11 compiled at Nov  8 2014 13:34:39
Compiler: g++ 4.9.1
Compiled against:
  apt version 4.12.0
  NCurses version 5.9
  libsigc++ version: 2.4.0
  Gtk+ support disabled.
  Qt support disabled.

Current library versions:
  NCurses version: ncurses 5.9.20140913
  cwidget version: 0.5.17
  Apt version: 4.12.0

Look forward to knowing why it does not work anymore. If it's a bug
please let me know and will file it.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल