[Aptitude-devel] Packages license info

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 00:58:44 UTC 2016

>Hi,
>
>braghe fustagno wrote:
>> Please add a new column field "License" to display (and filter by)
>> software license (MIT/GPLv2/BSD/...). Thank you
>
>While this is technically possible with the machine-readable DEP5
>format of the debian/copyright file, it's far more complex than just
>adding a column to display:
>
>0) It should be decided how such a field looks like in case there's
>   not only a single license type involved.

... and there is no shortage of those.

>1) dpkg-buildpackage needs to extract the data at build time and put
>   it into the binary package's meta data.

This is also present in the servers along with changelogs, but
downloading it (or refreshing continuously) for all packages (in the
main view) doesn't make a lot of sense.

Other than this small addition/comment, I agree with the rest of the
reply.

Cheers.
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo at gmail.com>