[Aptitude-devel] aptitude ~A question

Steve dlist at bluewin.ch
Sun Nov 6 07:18:52 UTC 2016

Hi Sven and Axel,

Thank you for your explanation, I understand a bit better the logic. But
there is still something that doesn't quite match. Please consider the
following.

apt-cache policy | grep 'a='
     release a=now
     release v=14.04,o=LP-PPA-opencpn-opencpn,a=trusty,n=trusty,l=OpenCPN,c=main
     release o=Debian Mozilla Team,a=jessie-backports,n=jessie-backports,l=Debian Mozilla Team,c=firefox-release
     release v=8.6,o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,a=stable,n=jessie,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=non-free
     release v=8.6,o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,a=stable,n=jessie,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=main
     release o=Debian Backports,a=jessie-backports,n=jessie-backports,l=Debian Backports,c=contrib
     release o=Debian Backports,a=jessie-backports,n=jessie-backports,l=Debian Backports,c=main
     release v=8,o=Debian,a=stable,n=jessie,l=Debian-Security,c=non-free
     release v=8,o=Debian,a=stable,n=jessie,l=Debian-Security,c=contrib
     release v=8,o=Debian,a=stable,n=jessie,l=Debian-Security,c=main
     release v=8.6,o=Debian,a=stable,n=jessie,l=Debian,c=contrib
     release v=8.6,o=Debian,a=stable,n=jessie,l=Debian,c=non-free
     release v=8.6,o=Debian,a=stable,n=jessie,l=Debian,c=main

Now let's plug the value of a in 'aptitude search ~A$a~i | wc -l':

a=              aptitude search ~A[$a]~i | wc -l 					dpkg -l | grep ^ii | wc -l
trusty                                    16
jessie$                                    0
jessie-backports                         248
stable                                  3243

TOTAL                                   3507                3349

now                                     3349                3349

so 3507 ≠ 3349. Both figures should be equal as I understand. It seems
that some packages are counted two or more times or my calculation is
plain wrong.

Thoughts?

Best,
Steve

PS: the trusty part is for opencpn, which is currently not in Debian.