[Aptitude-devel] how to get verbosity in aptitude command-line mode via its configuration file.

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 23:51:49 GMT 2019

Hi all,

While I'm asking the same question at
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/555993/verbosity-in-aptitude-command-line-mode

just for completeness asking the same here too -

This is related to a question I asked about 3 years ago.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/235667/till-what-depth-can-aptitude-v-verbose-work

Since then things have changed a bit apparently. One of the obvious
ones is that aptitude itself has changed from whatever version it was
at that point in time to aptitude 0.8.12 or to be more precise -

$ aptitude --version
aptitude 0.8.12
Compiler: g++ 9.2.1 20190821
Compiled against:
  apt version 5.0.2
  NCurses version 6.1
  libsigc++ version: 2.10.1
  Gtk+ support disabled.
  Qt support disabled.

Current library versions:
  NCurses version: ncurses 6.1.20191019
  cwidget version: 0.5.18
  Apt version: 5.0.2

The other thing which has changed is aptitude has its documentation in
aptitude-doc-en and the point/documentation I am interested is located
in -

file:///usr/share/doc/aptitude/html/en/ch02s05s05.html

where it says -

    Option: Aptitude::CmdLine::Verbose
    Default: 0
aptitude is. Every occurrence of the -v command-line option adds 1 to
this value.

Now the configuration file is supposed to be in one of the three
places and I chose and made a 3-4 lines at

$ cat ~/.aptitude/config

Aptitude "";
Aptitude::CmdLine "";
Aptitude::CmdLine::Verbose "2";

Now I don't know if this is good enough or not. I tried the following commands -

$ sudo apt update

and

$ sudo aptitude update

But neither gave me any more output. Am I doing something wrong ?

Feel free to either unix.stackexchange.com or the mailing list to
answer the question/query.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल

E493 D466 6D67 59F5 1FD0 930F 870E 9A5B 5869 609C