[Babel-users] Babel and IPV4

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Tue Nov 6 22:19:41 UTC 2007

Hi Juliusz,

Depending on your definition of 2), there is probably a fourth option,
bit more complex than 2):

4) Make Babel a hybrid protocol, similar to multi-protocol BGP. The
   routing traffic may be carried by either IPv4 or IPv6 packets, and
   either or both IPv4 or IPv6 interfaces would be announced, depending
   on the interface(s) available. The routing protocol would be IPv6 to
   IPv4 tunnel aware.

Clearly, the IPv4 can be annouced as a mapped ::ffff:0:0/96 address if
using only an IPv6 format internally. The routing protocol would discover
and keep track of IPv6 to IPv4 gateways where tunnels are available, and
not assume that tunneled IPv6 routes are arbitrarily available anywhere
in the IPv4 network.

I'm part of a small 70 family wireless coop that is considering deploying
a mesh in support of an exisiting Motorola Canopy network. We plan to
pair 802.11a/b/g radios with Canopy SM radios, using Canopy for a mesh
backhaul since it's TDMA protocol is nearly congestion free and scales in
bandwidth better than multihop 802.11. The 800Mhz Canopy is unique in that
it provides better than a 30 mile coverage radius around a rural high ground
AP site for connecting remote mesh clusters. We use 2.4 GHz and 5.7GHz
canopy for urban members since other local providers have switched to canopy
and it doesn't have CCA holdoff problems in areas where portable phones,
home wifi, and other in channel interference exists.

There will be some members that do not have LOS to a Canopy AP that are
802.11 only, when near multiple Canopy members with a stable local mesh.

We would also add 802.11 at selected Canopy Access Point sites, and replace
the switches at the AP sites with a mesh router to allow redundant soft
failover for the Canopy using 802.11 as a backup or alternate route.

John