[Babel-users] Babel and bridged interfaces

Florian Fainelli florian at openwrt.org
Thu Jan 31 14:17:25 UTC 2008

Hi Juliusz,

Le Wednesday 30 January 2008 18:18:44 Juliusz Chroboczek, vous avez écrit :
> I do not recommend running Babel on bridged interfaces, since the
> inverse multiplexing caused by the bridge removes some information,
> and prevents Babel from dropping the hello interval.  It is better to
> remove the bridge and run Babel separately on the underlying
> interfaces.  (Of course, this is not possible if you need to forward
> broadcast traffic between interfaces.)

The OpenWrt init and configuration scripts have the necessary code to fetch
the "type" of a particular interface (i.e : bridged, wired, wireless) and the
bridge members.

We could probably tune a bit the init script to make it run on each member of
the bridge for instance. This would avoid adding bridge detection to babel,
which seems to be an OpenWrt specific problem/feature.