[Babel-users] babel and zeroconf

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon May 19 10:31:18 UTC 2008

>>  That's called policy routing, and there's a lot of published
>>  papers on the subject.  Babel doesn't do policy routing right now,
>>  but if you convince me why it's needed, I'm quite willing to add
>>  it.

>  ... what you're saying is that it's not straightforward to identify /
> separate the networks, is that right?

Oh, no.  The trouble is that in order to perform fully general policy
routing, you need to carry multiple times the routing information --
one per policy.

>  i was kind of naively envisioning that i would be able to just bypass
> the routing, for voice, and go direct to e.g. the packet radio modem
> interface.

In other words, only taking the first hop into account when doing
policy routing?  Then that's much cheaper.

>>  (Once again, if you need policy routing, it's your task to convince me.)

As far as I can tell -- you haven't identified your usage cases
precisely enough to find out if full policy routing is required.  So
I guess it's best to postpone this decision.

>  so - a network comprising two WIMAX networks which are geographically
> too far apart to be connected together (more than 2 miles) but a few
> of the nodes can use GPRS / 3G to get data across between the two,
> thus connecting the two networks together.
>
>  ... does that work?

Yep.

> and, more importantly, is it possible for babel to still maintain a
> cohesive virtual network, independent of the link layer(s) being used
> to create it?

Yep, that's what it was designed to do.

                                        Juliusz