[Babel-users] Babel 2 available

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon Oct 13 08:14:57 UTC 2008

Dear all,

A roughly complete specification of version 2 of the Babel protocol is on

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/babel/draft-chroboczek-babel-unpublished.txt
  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/babel/draft-chroboczek-babel-unpublished.html

It's not quite finished yet (search for ``TBD''), but I'd be *very*
grateful if you could help with proofreading.

The implementatin is available in the following Darcs branch:

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/repos/babel2

It appears to work, but it has undergone very little testing.  I'll merge
it into the trunk at some point.

The Babel 2 protocol is incompatible with the Babel 1 protocol.  There are
no compatibility provisions whatsoever -- you'll need to have a flag day.
(If people insist, I can implement a version that speaks both versions of
the protocol, but I rather wouldn't.)

From a usage point of view, I've taken care to ensure that Babel 2 looks as
much as possible as Babel 1.  The two main differences are that you can no
longer specify a router-id on the command line, and that the ``-k'' option
has very slightly changed semantics.  See the manual page.

Except for the fact that there's less Babel traffic, you shouldn't notice
a lot of differences.  If you run with the debugging flags, you will notice
that router-ids now have a different syntax, and that neighbours no longer
have an associated id.

A surprising side effect of the neighbour changes is that a Babel node with
two interfaces on the same link (e.g. a 2-radio node with both radios run-
ning at the same frequency) will associate with itself.  Of course, Babel's
loop avoidance algorithm will prevent a node from routing through itself.

Looking forward to your bug reports,

                                        Juliusz