[Babel-users] ANNOUNCE: ahcpd 0.50 (AHCP protocol version 1)

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Aug 11 21:03:54 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I've finally gotten my act together, and finished implementing the new
AHCP protocol.  You will find it on

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/files/ahcpd-0.50.tar.gz
  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/files/ahcpd-0.50.tar.gz.asc

You will find a somewhat incomplete description of the protocol on the
AHCP page,

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/ahcp/

The new protocol has a number of advantages over the old one.  First of
all, it is much simpler -- just 5 states for the client, as opposed to
8 for the old protocol, and no layering violations.  Additionally, it is
completely routing-agnostic: it will work fine in a Babel network, an
OLSR network, a BATMAN network, or even a network with no routing
protocol at all.

The main downside is that there is no stateless component in the new
protocol: when the network partitions, the part that is partitioned away
From all the AHCP servers will only survive for the time it has a lease;
in the old protocol, IPv4 would die, but IPv6 would survive almost
indefinitely.

The implementation is not quite finished; in particular, it doesn't do
server selection right.  This means that it will work fine if there's
only one AHCP server in the network, or if all servers are equivalent;
it will do stupid things when e.g. some servers serve both IPv4 and IPv6
addresses, but others do IPv6 only.  So don't do that.

Enjoy,

                                        Juliusz