[Babel-users] (Almost) real-scale BABEL deployment at Paris on April 11th-12th

Vincent Gross dermiste at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 17:01:41 UTC 2009

Hi,

There will be a massive (at least I'm hoping so) babel deployment as
part of an event organized by the /tmp/lab, a french hackerspace based
at vitry-sur-Seine (near Paris) on April 11th and 12th, with a
preparation workshop on April 4th.

This events aims to set up 3 wireless meshed networks, using OLSR,
BATMAN and BABEL, with approx. 25 nodes per network, scattered indoor
and outdoor.

We need every hardware and wetware resources we can get to make this
event a successfull showcase of meshed networks and, of course, BABEL.

Regards,

--
Vincent Gross

"So, the essence of XML is this: the problem it solves is not hard, and
it does not solve the problem well." -- Jerome Simeon & Phil Wadler

----[ Original announce message ]----

We are pleased to announce that the /tmp/lab will be organizing a
Spring Wireless OpenWRT Mesh Contest called “Wireless Battle Mesh”
during 2 days (April 11-12th) with the goal of building 3 wireless
mesh networks based on embedded hardware running OpenWRT and different
concurrent mesh routing protocols.

The targeted architecture will be 3 networks of 25nodes + 1 wireless
managment networks (10-20 nodes) to achieve realistic size of nodes
number, data traffic, configuration problems. The architecture will be
set-up indoor and outdoor around the building of the /tmp/lab.

OpenWRT will be the selected for the BoardSupportPackage running on
the different hardware nodes and a core network configuration will be
built on Linux servers with user-friendly features such as :

*VLANs

*Captive portal

*Authentication

*Admin portal

Concerning the mesh-protocols, selected targeted protocols are :

*OLSR : IP-based mesh routing platform (http://olsr.org and openWRT
package available)

*BATMAN : Layer2-based mesh protocol (http://open-mesh.org) and
available as a kernel module for Linux and packaged in OpenWRT

*BABEL : Layer-3 mesh protocol developed by University Paris 6,
available for Linux and soon to be packaged for OpenWRT
(http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/babel/)

Concerning the hardware node, we are looking for hardware sponsors
that could enjoy this “real-case” contest by providing 50-100 nodes to
the event. This sponsor will be actually displayed on the organization
website as well as during the event. The feedbacks for the hardware
manufacturers can be not only from the users but also from the network
community running real-case test (academic- or community-wide).

The TMPLAB core team.

----[ Original workshop announce message ]----

Bonjour à tous,

Le Thursday 26 February 2009 18:01:20 Florian Fainelli, vous avez écrit :

> Une fois n'est pas coutume, nous souhaiterions le faire un Samedi sachant
> que l'ensemble du workshop s'étale sur plusieurs heures. Nous vous
> proposons le samedi 14 mars 2009 au /tmp/lab à Vitry sur Seine à partir de
> 14h30 et jusqu'à 20h30.

Nicolas et moi-même étant indisponibles le 14 mars, nous vous proposons le 4
avril 2009 même heure même endroit.

Pensez à vous inscrire sur la page du wiki suivante :
http://www.tmplab.org/wiki/index.php/OpenWrt_:_une_introduction

Merci de votre compréhension et nous espérons vous voir nombreux ;)

----[ Some links ]----

http://www.tmplab.org (Blog)
http://tinyurl.com/4aob9u (Calendar)
http://www.tmplab.org/wiki/index.php (Wiki)