[Babel-users] A peer-reviewed assessment of OLSR, BATMAN and Babel

Henning Rogge hrogge at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 6 22:55:38 UTC 2009

Am Freitag 06 November 2009 20:05:31 schrieb Juliusz Chroboczek:
> I've just come upon an interesting paper that experimentally compares
> the performance of OLSR, BATMAN and Babel.
>
>     Real-world Performance of Current Proactive Multi-hop Mesh
>     Protocols.  M. Abolhasan, B. Hagelstein, J. C.-P. Wang.
>
>  http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1747&context=infopapers
Interesting link Juliusz, thank you.

> Short summary: see Table II on the last page.
>

> A few comments on the paper:
>
> 1. Section II (the informal description of the protocols) doesn't make
>    much sense.  Ignore it.
>
> 2. They evaluated original OLSR, not OLSR-ETX as used by our friends in
>    Vienna and Berlin.
This is the bane of the OLSR protocol. Most people not doing mesh-research
just "use the RFC compatible OLSR" to compare it with anything else... and
discover (as we all know) that hopcount metric does not work. I'm fighting for
including a simple ETX implementation into the coming OLSRv2 RFC at the
moment.

Henning Rogge