[Babel-users] Running Babel over tunnels [was: duplicating externals]

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Wed Nov 11 16:53:42 UTC 2009

> I spent some time yesterday trying to make this work:
>
> A--.
> B--'

[...]

> However, I could not get babel to talk AC or BC through a tunnel.

Did you read the section "A note about tunnels and VPNs" in the babeld
README?

If that's not it, is there anything useful in the log?

[...]

> where the link AB is a bridge (technically it's a bridge over a pair
> of Ubiquity Nanos which are not running babel),

Eek?  Why are you putting this in the way?

Bridging will confuse Babel, by making the distinction between
interfaces less clear, and breaking Babel's link quality estimation.
(Intuitively, the bridge is lying to Babel -- it's claiming two
interfaces are adjacent, or, worse, the same interface, although they
really aren't.)

Michael, it looks to me like you're gratuitiously complicating things.
Please make it work first, once you have a working setup you can
complicate things to your heart's content.

> Babel talks very well between AB over the nanos (which are
> transparent).

It's probably mis-estimating link quality.  What's the -USR1 log like?