[Babel-users] Openwrt support for later versions of babeld

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sun Nov 29 14:34:52 UTC 2009

>>> Why is ad-hoc required? Shouldn't you be able to pull statistics from an
>>> more conventional configuration?

>> How to you do mesh networks without ad-hoc wireless?
>
> I think you are using a narrower definition of a mesh than I do.

Sure, Babel works over any link layer.  However, for a mesh it is
natural to use symmetric (decentralised) link technologies -- wired
Ethernet is fine, 802.11 in ad-hoc mode is fine, while 802.11 in the
standard AP/STA configuration creates a number of interesting issues
(such as which of your nodes will be in the AP configuration and which
will be STAs, and so on).

It might be the case that your particular topology will work fine in an
AP/STA configuration, but doing that will reduce flexibility quite
a lot.

>>> Picture, no code?

Sorry.

  darcs get http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/repos/BabelTool/

Be aware that it's ugly, buggy, incomprehensible code.  You have been warned.

                                        Juliusz