[Babel-users] Reminder: babel-pinger

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Fri Sep 4 19:19:49 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I've just replied (by private mail) to two users who have been asking me
about how to redistribute a NAT-ed dhcp route with Babel.

In order to avoid misconfigurations, babeld will refuse to redistribute
a route with a protocol number of ``boot''.  If your dhcp implementation
is able to use a different protocol number, use that.

If your dhcp implementation cannot use a non-default protocol number,
you should manually install a static route:

  ip route add default proto static via 1.2.3.4 onlink dev eth0 metric 2

Some people, however, complain that this won't disable the route when
the dhcp client loses its lease.  For those people, I recommend babel-pinger:

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/files/

You may run babel-pinger as so:

  babel-pinger -i eth0 -P dns 1.2.3.5

where 1.2.3.5 is the address of your name server.  Then, in your
/etc/babel.conf, do something like this:

  redistribute 0.0.0.0/0 le 0 proto 43 allow

For more information, please see the babel-pinger manual page:

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/babel/babel-pinger.html

                                        Juliusz