[Babel-users] [AHCP] IPv6 prefix length

Gabriel Kerneis kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon Jul 19 12:08:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

if I understand correctly the code of AHCP (file configure.c, line 505 and
following):
- if the IPv6 prefix length is < /64, it will be ignored,
- if the IPv6 prefix length is > /64, the IPv6 address is derived from the
  prefix as if it were a /64 prefix (i.e. any bits beyond the 64th are ignored
  and overwritten by the eui64).

This seems to defeat the purpose of prefix length.

Am I correct (probably not)?  If so, is this related to any RFC suggesting or
requiring to use autocofiguration only for /64 prefixes (if such an RFC
exists)?

Anyway, this should be specified in the documentation, and the client (or the
server?) should IMHO issue a warning when a prefix different from /64 is used.

Regards,
--
Gabriel Kerneis