[Babel-users] Ahcpd update in OpenWrt (quick HOWTO)

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 11:02:56 UTC 2010

Hi!

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Gabriel Kerneis <kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> Off the the top of my head:

Thanks for the explanation. I see the reasons. We have (partially)
solved the problems in a different way. We get more robust behavior
(every node can give IPs) but in expense of more IP space used (or
just reserved). But thanks for this idea. Because it is good question
how much does really giving IP to a client counts if the node is
completely separated from the rest of the mesh.

> If C cannot reach A, dhcp would break but ahcp will behave
> correctly.

This is true.

> you discover
> that some part of your lab is not covered by your mesh network, just
> take another Fonera, flash it with a customized image (featuring
> babel and ahcpd in client mode), plug it near the dead zone, and it
> works!

We also do this. Only that our customized image has dnsmasq and a
subnet allocated to it. We use image builder for this which injects
configuration into it. So you just flash and it works.

Why in client mode and not in forwarding mode?

> - you have to install ahcp (whereas every decent has a dhcp client
>  bundled),

This is a good question. How to allow at the same time non-mesh
clients to connect to the network and get IP with DHCP.

Mitar