[Babel-users] Babel Multicast routing

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Mar 1 07:51:14 UTC 2011

> And also we like to use multicast for a lot of thing not only for
> mdns, there is some plan to implement multicast routing on babel in
> short terms?

I've certainly got plans to look at multicast, but not specifically for
Babel.

If you look closely at the way I'm designing things, you'll notice that
I've been very careful to decouple the various pieces of the
architecture -- for example, AHCP is completely independent of Babel,
and works just fine with OLSR or BATMAN.  Which is the way it should be
[1].

Same goes for multicast -- I see no reason why multicast routing should
be linked to a particular unicast routing protocol, and intend to work
on a more general solution.  Don't hold your breath, though, my main
priority right now is to finish publishing the Babel and Babelz stuff.

--Juliusz

[1] If you're implementing tunnelling as part of your routing daemon,
    you've got some explaining to do.