[Babel-users] babel jumps my default route

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at anarcat.ath.cx
Thu Aug 2 17:22:33 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am struggling to setup proper routing policies on my local test mesh.

I have mentionned my setup previously so I won't repeat it here, but I
can expand by saying that most mesh routers export their default
routes. Not all of them have such a thing, but some do, in particular
carton (172.16.1.1).

The problem is, after a while, that route gets propagated to my core
router (roadkiller) which is the real internet connexion. The upstream
route therefore drops and roadkiller starts to use carton as its default
route, which is very bad, to say the least.

I can see two problems here:

 1. I can't seem to refuse default routes from the mesh
 2. roadkiller (FreeBSD) should prefer its own default route to the one
 proposed by the mesh, since it's a local route

To refuse the default routes, I have tried both those policies:

    in ip 0.0.0.0/0 le 0 deny
    in ip 0.0.0.0/32 le 0 deny

None work. After a little while, the default route gets inherited from
the mesh and I loose the sole real default route on the network.

Any ideas? I have tried to look for a sample babeld.conf in the source
distribution, couldn't find any... that would be very useful. I see:

https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/packages/net/babel/files/babeld.conf

... but it's in OpenWRT and lacking in/out samples.

A.
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.