[Babel-users] How should an AHCP server configure it's ip address?

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Fri Aug 10 12:10:14 UTC 2012

> I'm working on building a mesh between a number of Ubuntu 10.04 boxes.
> I've managed to get babeld, ahcpd, and iptables all working together
> nicely, so I've got routes between all of them, internet gateways, the
> whole bit.

Cool.  Is there a website describing your project?

> The question comes down to this: how do I keep an ahcp server from
> issuing a lease for it's own IP address?

You should assign your AHCP server an address that's outside the AHCP
pool.

For example, in our network, we're using global IPs for the servers, and
addresses in 192.168.4.0/24 for the clients.

> At this point I have it working by configuring the ahcpd server node
> as 10.99.1.254/16 while distributing 10.99.1.0/24,

Either reduce the AHCP pool (a /25 should be enough, at least until you
have more nodes), or put the server at 10.99.2.1 (which might require
you to export more routes in Babel).

> I can think of a number of solutions, but looking through the code I
> didn't pick up the scent of any of them.

If the above answer doesn't suit your particular case, please feel free
to suggest any features you're thinking about, we can discuss them on
this list to see if they're reasonable.