[Babel-users] babelctl?

anarcat anarcat at anarcat.ath.cx
Fri Aug 31 04:23:11 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-10, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Yep, although that's not really meant for human consumption -- it's the
> interface BabelDraw[1] and BabelWeb[2] listen on.  I suppose it could be
> extended for the kind of applications you envision, but you'll want to
> coordinate with Gabriel, so that you don't break BabelWeb.  (You're
> allowed to break BabelDraw.)

Well, for one thing it would be more reliable to have a unix socket
instead of a network port. Then it could be in a well-defined location
(e.g. /var/run/babeld/babeld.sock) instead of an arbitrary port number
we need to guess (and that I am assuming is non-standard).

Also, the output is not easy to parse as it is right now. First off,
there is no delimitation that allows us to see when a listing is
over. For example, on a connexion, babeld dumps its routing table, then
hangs there until it sees a neighbor announcement. Right now there's no
way for a parser to figure out when the route listing is over other than
waiting for that neighbor announcement which, obviously, will stall if
there are no neighbors. Quite problematic.

Second, the fields display is inconsistent. The "chan (255)" field, for
example, is sometimes there, sometimes not...

Nevertheless, this seems like a good start to implement such an
interface. Given a standard port or a socket, something could fairly
easily be written. We are working on some shell scripts here that may be
re-written in C by some courageous soul eventually:

git://src.anarcat.ath.cx/reseaulibre-scripts

> The Quagga version of Babel has an extensive command-line interface:
>
>   huponomos# show babel
>     authentication  Packet authentication
>     interface       Interface information
>     neighbor        Print neighbors
>     parameters      Configuration information
>     route           Babel internal routing table

I do not run quagga, being on FreeBSD and OpenWRT here... Do you mind
showing me sample output so that I could make something similar out of
this?

I am especially interested in seeing the interface output.

Thanks,

A.
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.