[Babel-users] quagga-babel and blackholes

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 16:40:21 UTC 2012

I recently had a chance to catch up with the quagga-babel implementation,
and set it up as a leaf node on my laptop and connected it to bloatlab #1,
which is running a mixture of the latest babel and stuff that dated back to
september.  Switching between original babeld and quagga's babel was pretty
transparent, and it survived a variety of tests. There were only two
differences in the behavior of the two daemons.

1) when connectivity to a destination is lost, babeld puts an 'unreachable'
route in place, zebra puts a 'blackhole' route in place. I can see defenses
of both methods, is there a way to switch this behavior?

2) the routing tables are identical, except that zebra does not put a p2p
route in on the local lan segment.

I'll try this on a more core router sometime soon.

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://www.bufferbloat.net