[Babel-users] Babeld merged with GPL headers against copyright holders' wishes

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Mar 27 14:53:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> Paul Jakma has added GPL headers to the babeld code that he has merged
> into Quagga.  This was done against the wishes of Matthieu Boutier and
> myself, the main two authors of this code, and without the knowledge of
> the other authors.

If you publish your code under MIT/X11 you explicitly grant others the
right to do this. Indeed, if you incorporate MIT code into a GPL
project you *must* add the GPL headers to the derived work. There is
no obligation to get permission from anyone to do this: you already
granted permission when you published your work under MIT/X11. If Paul
had removed your copyright, that would be a violation of your license.
But this is not the case.

So as far as I can tell, Paul Jakma has acted properly, and you and
Matthieu Boutier have acted improperly in trying to redefine the terms
of your license and add new restrictions after it was granted.

-Pieter