[Babel-users] [quagga-users 12819] Re: Babeld merged with GPL headers against copyright holders' wishes

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Wed Mar 28 15:14:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> The respectful thing to do would have been to give us the choice between
> adding GPL headers or not getting merged.  Adding the GPL headers to our
> code behind our backs is rude.

1. We did consult with you about the options, several times. We stopped
including you after you told us that you had no wish to discuss licensing
further.

2. We considered not merging. However, we decided that it would, on
balance, be better for everyone to do the merge. We agreed it was better
for the community and Quagga generally to have a "safe" babeld published
through our tree, than to not merge and have just "unclear" versions out
there (in trees that are not ours).

Where "safe" means:

  "We're reasonably confident all applicable licences are being honoured,
   and best practices followed"

while "unclear" means:

  "We couldn't get non-lawyer programmers involved to all agree this is
   definitely safe, and we couldn't get a lawyer to tell us it's safe
   either, indeed the SFLC lawyer we asked expressed some doubt."

regards,
--
Paul Jakma  paul at jakma.org  twitter: @pjakma  PGP: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: