[Babel-users] Early windows patch

jp at nexedi.com jp at nexedi.com
Sat Feb 9 15:24:10 UTC 2013

Hi,

> Why are you using Cygwin rather than doing a native Windows port?  My
> experience with Polipo indicates that doing a native port is not much
> more difficult than dealing with Cygwin, and yields cleaner and more
> portable software at the end.

Thank you. I agree with you on the general principle. Our goal is to port SlapOS to Windows ASAP. SlapOS requires both babel and also POSIX (thus Cygwin). Doing the Cygwin port as a first step was thus faster. This is the rationale.

> I would like to strongly encourage you to switch to a native port
> instead of Cygwin.

I understand the reasons. If we have resources, we will do. Such resources could for example come from a grant, once we find someone to jointly work with us on babel as part of a grant. However, in the absence of grant or funding, our current priority is to deploy ASAP SlapOS on windows with re6st / babel and start experimenting, since this is how we can fund ourselves and pay salaries in the short time until we can do the next step. Once this is done, we will consider a native port.

I hope this explains our (financial) constraints.

Regards,

JPS.