[Babel-users] AHCP and hostnames

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon Jan 7 19:55:23 UTC 2013

> I had put up several of my thoughts towards extending the ahcp
> protocol somewhat, here:

> https://github.com/dtaht/dnsmasq-ahcp/blob/master/src/ahcp-extensions.md

Heh.

> Routing Protocol Extension
> Default gateway

Something similar was present in very early versions of AHCP, and was
removed when babeld became able to react dynamically to address
changes.  We now run babeld before ahcpd is started, keep it running
even when ahcpd loses its lease, and let it deal automatically with
any resulting mess -- which is of course incompatible with ahcpd
specifying the routing protocol.

This has a number of advantages:

  - it is possible to have multiple routing protocols in a single
    ahcpd domain (we're running Babel, RIPng and static routing at
    PPS, and some people appear to be running Babel and BATMAN);
  - babeld starts converging before there's an address assigned (yeah,
    babeld can do that);
  - the node starts forwarding before it gets an address (yeah, babeld
    can do that);
  - babeld's state (routing tables) survives a temporary ahcpd glitch;
  - since babeld and ahcpd are run independently, they're easier to
    integrate with existing operating systems.

I guess it's a matter of taste, but I rather like the current scheme.