[Babel-users] A happy babel user: re6st

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Thu Jan 24 00:07:21 UTC 2013

> Last summer, we have implemented a wired mesh network system based
> on babel which can provide stable IPv6 to all nodes of
> a decentralized cloud operation system. It works great.

Cool.

> A report will be published.

I'm looking forward to it.

> a- How can we prevent one babel participant to act against other
> participants by providing wrong information to other participants ?
> Imagine for example that a bad organization joins re6st + babel
> network and starts capturing all routes in order to analyze traffic
> or even block it.

Since you're already encrypting and authentifying all your traffic,
Denis' work won't help you.  The best I can think of is to do some
filtering to drop any routes that don't make sense, but I'm not sure
it will help you much.

BGP has the same problem, and SBGP, while promising, hasn't seen much
deployment yet.

> b- How can we create a hierarchical addressing system ? The idea
> here is to group participants dynamically and assign them a "big"
> IPv6 address range.

Yep.  I've thought about it, and I don't see a good way to make
automatic aggregation work in Babel -- the longest-prefix rule will
cause Babel to ignore the aggregated routes.

> c- How can we implement more policies (ex. latency) ?

We're working on it (Matthieu and I).  Current babeld head has some
stability improvements which should in principle make it possible to
have a stable network even when using latency as a cost measure.  As
I told you last summer, I've come up with a cool way to measure
latency without increasing the amount of traffic much, so now it's
a simple matter of programming.