[Babel-users] AHCP and yo-yo interfaces

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 20:06:59 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
>> From what I understand of the current client/server/forwarder split
>> there's no way to get ahcp working across multiple physical networks...
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  Getting configuration to work across
> multiple links is exactly what AHCP was designed to do.
>
> Perhaps the confusion stems from the dodgy documentation, which
> doesn't make it clear that *all* AHCP nodes act as forwarders, whether
> they also act as clients or servers.

Yes, my confusion stemmed from that. AHCP does indeed work great
across many, many, hops to an available server. I went and rather
easily added two dozen ipv6 enabled nodes to an existing network last
night, one 8 hops away from the server.

Where I had run into trouble was a more limited case, where ahcp was
not available on a conventional interface (running dhcp)

GW (ahcp) - wifi (ahcp) - wifi (ahcp)
                  - ethernet (no ahcp) -> ethernet (ahcp) ->
                                                       (no workie)

In this case the ethernet interface would need to be configured as a
forwarder so as to not muck with the ipv4/24 it is distributing with
dhcp,
and the other interfaces as clients, or perhaps it could use eth0:0 syntax?

As time has gone by here and the network grown more complex, there are
now multiple paths to almost any node, and thus breaks in ahcp
connectivity appear to matter less.

This is a simplified example of what actually worked last night

GW (ahcp) - wifi (ahcp) - wifi (ahcp) - ethernet (ahcp) - wifi(ahcp)
                  - wifi (ahcp) - ethernet (ahcp) - wifi (ahcp)        |
                  - ethernet (no ahcp) -> ethernet (ahcp) -> wifi (ahcp)
                                                       (gets its
address from the right hand path)