[Babel-users] Random unique ID for ahcpd?

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste.jonglez at ens-lyon.fr
Thu Jul 4 11:39:41 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have just figured out a bug that was biting me for some time: for
some reason, one (and only one) of the nodes on my mesh network
couldn't get configuration informations from the AHCP server.

It turned out that the client node and the server node were using the
same AHCP "unique" ID, derived from a USB wifi dongle's MAC address;
indeed, I've been using this dongle on both nodes.

Apart from printing a warning on the server log when something weird
like this happens — instead, I had to dissect the captured AHCP
packets to find out the source of the issue — it would seem reasonable
to be able to generate a random ID if no ID currently exists.  Or does
it feel too much like reinventing the wheel, since MAC addresses are
supposed to be unique already?

Baptiste