[Babel-users] running tests longer than 60 secs

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 00:20:16 UTC 2013

I happened to have done a string of test runs of the rrul test against
a very complex network with multiple wifi paths mostly against the
main babel (with diversity routing on, but the smoothing code is not
part of quagga which was running on a few of the nodes) the other day.
I generally get "interesting" behavior when I load it up for longer
than 60 seconds. I used a beaglebone black on the other side of the
connection, and a variety of other boxes in the loop for the wifi side
(cerowrt wndr3800s, picostation 2HPs),

These two tests exercised all 4 wifi queues:

http://results.lab.taht.net/120s_NoOffloads_BQL1500_IPv6_Atoms_wifi_beagle-20281/120s_NoOffloads_BQL1500_IPv6_Atoms_wifi_beagle-fq_codel-all_scaled-rrul.svg

http://results.lab.taht.net/120s_NoOffloads_BQL1500_IPv6_Atoms_wifi_beagle-20281/120s_NoOffloads_BQL1500_IPv6_Atoms_wifi_beagle-pfifo_fast-all_scaled-rrul.svg

You can see how badly BE and Background traffic compete against video
and voice traffic under 802.11e on adhoc mode presently.

These just used one queue:

http://results.lab.taht.net/120s_NoOffloads_BQL1500_IPv6_Atoms_wifi_beagle-20281/120s_NoOffloads_BQL1500_IPv6_Atoms_wifi_beagle-codel-all_scaled-rrul_noclassification.svg

http://results.lab.taht.net/120s_NoOffloads_BQL1500_IPv6_Atoms_wifi_beagle-20281/120s_NoOffloads_BQL1500_IPv6_Atoms_wifi_beagle-fq_codel-all_scaled-rrul_noclassification.svg

In both sets of cases there was some sort of massive switch in routing
late in the test...

the netperf-wrapper scripts (rrul and rrul_noclassification) were used
in conjunction with netperf 2.6 for these tests.

https://github.com/tohojo/netperf-wrapper requires python to drive the
test and python-matplotlib to do the plotting. Example line:

netperf-wrapper -l 120 -H the_other_host -o mytestplot.svg -p all_scaled rrul

There are also simpler tests like tcp_bidirectional, and more complex
ones that test ipv6 against ipv4, etc in the same test suite.